The True Gift of Christmas
- We all like to receive gifts.
- Gifts is something we received freely. Is not a reward.
- Think about the best gift you have ever received.
- There is 2 side to gifts. You are either the one who received or the one to give.
“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
- Winston Churchill once said, "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
- Many have made the mistake of buying into the myth of more—the belief that if we RECEIVE and RECEIVE and RECEIVE — well, eventually MORE will be enough. This is why so many of us spend our lives looking for THE NEXT THING to get more of.
- The problem is this feeling always wears off and we find ourselves right back where we started—wanting to receive MORE.
- People in history who have had MORE of anything they wanted have learned that MORE never brings us satisfaction
- King Solomon is a perfect example. He had more wives, more money, more homes, more fame—and he learned that more is a myth. Do you remember his words? He said that “Striving to GET more is no better than chasing after the wind.” It never satisfies our wanting.
- In GIVING, let’s admit it—isn’t it FUN to see the joy that our gifts to others brings?
- This is a principle that TRULY happy people have embraced. In fact, I have never known someone who was a truly giving person who did not also have a smile on their face. GIVING and JOY seem to be a package deal.
- As eternal beings made in the image of God, we were made - we were designed - to find joy in doing things of ETERNAL significance - like GIVING. Getting doesn’t really last - but GIVING to help PEOPLE does.
- Wise people build their lives around what is eternal and squeeze in what is temporary. Many do the opposite.
- “What is Christmas?”
- We all know is a tradition to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
- We’ve kept that tradition going for generations now
- We give gifts to everyone but Jesus.
- “Give him your trust. Faith is a voluntary matter. Jesus doesn’t have your trust unless you give it to him. He will never force it.
- Make Jesus first place in your life. This Christmas, choose to make Jesus first in your finances, interests, relationships, and schedule - and even in your troubles.
- Give Jesus your heart. Your heart is what you love, what you value, and what you care about most. Jesus says, “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34 NIV)
- Bring other people to Jesus. God wants a family more than anything else this Christmas. It is the reason we celebrate Christmas. Invite someone to Jesus this Christmas. Tell someone about what Jesus has done in your life
- The Wise Men didn’t give Jesus their leftovers when they visited him on the first Christmas but instead gave three very significant and valuable gifts: “They bowed down and worshiped him.
- They opened their gifts and gave him treasures of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”(Matthew 2:11 NCV)
- Will you give Jesus what you can this Christmas?